Tears in vaginal area. What is wrong?

I'm experiencing tears in my vaginal area. I haven't had intercourse in the last 2 months. I find these tears in the shower when washing - or by simply wiping after visiting the toilet. I'm worried - what is wrong with me?
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The cause for tears in the vaginal area could be one of the following.

1. Allergic reaction to some kind of substance, antiseptic used in procedure, fabric, scented or coloured toilet paper, local cleanser, lotion, gel, soap or bathing product.

2. An infection, due to the nails or a nearby infected hair follicle, which could be causing a developing abscess. If you have accompanying urinary symptoms, it could be UTI ( genital infection in the area, such as fungal infection or bacterial infection, could have been worsened by the procedure.

You need to consult a gynecologist for exact diagnosis and treatment.
For the time being, please use ice packs, soothing gels like aloe vera and if itching is a problem, you can use Vagisilanti itch cream
Also avoid abrasion and friction, excessive washing or rubbing of the affected area.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Tears in vaginal area. What is wrong? 1 hour later
What do you mean pre-existing genital infection?
I don't have any symptoms of yeast infection (could I have an infection without symptoms?)

PS - I had an std sti test when experienced the first tear last year (the test was clear)
Could HPV cause skin to tear?
Note: Tears occur on perineum (between vagina and Anus)
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If the tears are between vagina and anus then local causes like bacterial infection, irritation, etc are the likely causes.
It is not likely to be due to HPV. An old genital infection can also cause persistent tears. A direct examination by a dermatologist is necessary for proper diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Tears in vaginal area. What is wrong? 20 minutes later
What symptoms might I expect if I have a bacterial infection?

Also I've read that low estrogen levels can cause skin to thin and tear - is that a possibility?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 28 minutes later
Low estrogen levels are not likely at your age. The tears can be related to bacterial infection which causes a foul smelling discharge and generalized symptoms like fever. Systemic antibiotics are needed very often to take care of the infection. Do consult a dermatologist for proper prescriptions.