Tastes blood when running. What is this?

Feb 2013

When my daughter runs, she tastes blood. I get this too, ever since I can remember. Any ideas what it?
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need more details

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Before my advise I need some details about your daughter.

What is her age at present?

What is mean by tasting blood if she runs?

Is she bleeding into mouth?

Any history of trauma preceding bleeding?

I request you to kindly provide the details in your next follow up query so that I can advise you in a better way.

Awaiting for your follow up query.

Follow-up: Tastes blood when running. What is this? 9 hours later
She is 10. No trama. No blood is present. The sensation of tasting blood happens when she is straining to finish the run.
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Evaluation needed to rule out medical problems.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for getting back.

Tasting blood sensation after running may be due to sensation of metallic taste because of drying of tongue and oral cavity. Because of rapid breathing, in and out of large volume of dry air, the mucosal surface of the tongue gets dried leading to altered taste.

But if this taste is associated with other problems such as exercise intolerance, difficulty in breathing, blood in mouth, then she needs evaluation by her pediatrician.

Any associate underlying respiratory problems like bronchitis and asthma has to be ruled out by reviewing her past medical history and with relevant investigations.

And if she complaining of taste in blood repeatedly with running, it is suggested to reduce the intensity of her running and exercise.

Therefore I advise you to consult the pediatrician once for clinical evaluation to rule out any underlying problem.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.