Ask a Dentist   »  

Tasteless mouth since one month, had RCT for molars. Any ideas ?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
i have a tasteless mouth for the past one month roughly. i can neither appreciate salt or sweet. i cannot enjoy my food becase of this. recently i took rct for my molars. i dont have bleeding gums.
Posted Sat, 23 Jun 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 20 minutes later

The cause of tastelessness to salt and sweet is specifically related to malfunction of a particular group of taste buds. There could be several causes for it.

1. Side effects of the medications you are taking.

2. Vitamin deficiencies can also cause atrophy of the taste buds.

3. Neurological deficit of the nerves supplying the taste buds (Cranial nerve7)

The vertigo may be related either to hypertension or damage to the vestibulocochlear nerve (cranial nerve 8)

Effectively two cranial nerves are exhibiting deficits which are a serious matter and merit a neurological examination. Please discuss about these with your treating doctor.

I hope this answers your doubt. Please do write back in case of clarifications and further queries that you may have.

With regards
Follow-up: Tasteless mouth since one month, had RCT for molars. Any ideas ? 47 hours later
i consulted my dentist who did the rct and he told me that my problem may be due to the cement which he used for the dental procedures. he also told me once the crown is fixed for tthe tooth the symptom may go.But as you have sugeested i will go in for the opinion of a neurologist. My ENT examination is not suggestive of any problem relating to the ear. My physician told me that my vertigo is mainly because of sudden rise in blood pressure which is due to severe work load at home and absolutly no rest. Now i dont have vertigo, i mean free from that, I shall get back to you after my dental treetment is over.
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later

Thank you for the feedback.

I would suggest you to wait until your dental treatment get over completely.

Thereafter it would be advisable to get yourself evaluated by a neurologist.

If you have any more doubts kindly write back to me.

With regards