Taste of salt in mouth after drinking water,tea,juice

For the last few months I keep getting the taste of salt in my mouth after drinking. Most noticeable after drinking water, tea or zero sodium orange juice. The effect is not there (or noticable) when eating, but is very "strong" after drinking. Can someone tell me why or if it is something I should be worried about?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 29 hours later

Your symptom cannot be explainable scientifically. I shall try this way. When one gets dehydrated after a bout of alcohol, then the chemical composition of saliva which has NaCl can cause this taste.

YOu can have ample amounts of water and see if this helps. Apart from this I do not think it is something worrisome with just salty taste of saliva.

Hope I answered your query.
Follow-up: Taste of salt in mouth after drinking water,tea,juice 41 hours later
Thanks for the response but I'm not sure i agree.

It is not my saliva that tastes salty. If I do not drink anything then the normal saliva in my mouth does not taste of anything. It seems to be when I drink something and the result is then that the drink tastes like it is salty or has had salt added to it.

Also, i doubt that I am significantly dehydrated and this is something that has only started over the last couple of months.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 5 hours later

The next possible explanation is stone in the salivary ducts or glands

Get it checked with an ENT specialist or General Surgeon if they could feel some lumps. If so, they can do a Sialogram and find it out further.

If stones are present, some medicines can help in dissolving them.

Hope my perspective can assist you in finding the right cause.

Wish you Good Health.