Taste of metal or earth in mucus, chest infection. History of shadow in lung. Causes for metal taste?

I have had a taste of metal or earth from mucus I bring up since I had a chest infection in August. last year I had a shadow in my lung which did eventually go away.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

Thanks for the query,

It looks like you have had a lower lung it is most likely to be pneumonia.
Community acquired pneumonias are common and treatable with antibiotics. Depending on the severity the patient is either admitted and treated with inject-able antibiotics or on opd basis he is given oral antibiotics

Pneumonia usually takes 7 days to heal and the shadow on the x XXXXXXX to disappear it takes 3 to 4 weeks.

Earth tasting mucus is part of the infection and can cause the dis taste in many people.
However the metal taste could be because of the antibiotics given to you. It is most common when metronidazole is given. THis antibiotic is given most commonly when anaerobic bacteria is suspected

If there is anything else I could help you with please let me know, I will be happy to help

Have a nice day