Tapering off of clonazepam. Suggest ways without any side effect?

I am tapering off of clonazepam - I am down to .125 mg 1x per day. I was planning on doing this dose for 7 days and then stopping taking it. I am wondering if it would be advisable to do for 14 days. How do I know if after 7 days I am ready to go fully off? I want to do the best way possible.
Posted Sun, 11 Aug 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 45 minutes later

Thanks for the query

I must appreciate your concern for tapering and stop

Usually, tapering schedule of benzodiazepines (BDZ) are of 4 types: a) people who take people who are on low dose BDZ for long time and people who take high dose for long time, high dose for short time and low dose for short time.

Golden rule is taper as slow as possible

But, the speed of taper will be determined by duration of drug use, current symptoms, indication for use of BDZ, does the client have any concomitant drugs , expected psychological reaction of the patient to the drug etc

As because you are on Imipramine 75 mg for 25 years and you are very cautious and very meticulous about tapering of the drug, consulting your old doctor and discussing in detail would be ideal. It would not be in the best interest of you to address the tapering of such drugs discussing with you online.

Hope this answer will help you

Wish you good luck