Tampon was left inside for prolonged time. Will cause any problem?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
A tampon came out of me when i was going to the bathroom. It has been there for at least a month! I just finished flagystatin for what i thought was bv but i guess this was the reason. Should i see a doctor?
Posted Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes you should see a doctor. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. The possible problem with a tampon that has been left inside you for a prolonged time is the risk of infection. The warning signs would be a smell or unusual discharge, pelvic pain or a temperature. If you have any of these symptoms you may need antibiotics. However, I suggest you see your doctor who may wish to examine you or carry out a blood test to check for infection. I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA