Taking zostavax shot for shingle symptoms and gabapentin for abdominal pain. Any advice?

Dec 2012

I am a 61 year old female. I was perscribed Zostavax shot for shingle symptoms, Dec.2011. I am experiencing abdominal pain.Gabapentin was given for abdominal pain.
Posted Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later
Thank you for posting your worry.
Zostavax shot is used to prevent infection with herpes zoster virus in older people > 50 years. This has more than 50% prevention success.
I am not sure that your abdominal pain has any relation to the vaccine done more than 1 year ago. If you are experiencing recent abdominal pain, you will need to properly be examined to locate the quadrant where the pain is maximal so as to identify the organ that is in pain. Gabapentin (neurotin) is used to symptomatically treat neuralgic pain and epilepsy and so, your doctor probably evaluated you and came to the conclusion that your abdominal pain is of nervous origin.
You can pay a visit to a gastroenterologist if the pain persist despite above medication.

Hope this helps
Follow-up: Taking zostavax shot for shingle symptoms and gabapentin for abdominal pain. Any advice? 45 hours later
My pain started 24 hours after the shingles vaccine shot and has persisted to date.This pain has persisted for a year. The medicine(stated above) was given by a gastrointestinal doctor and i also had an endoscopy by the same doctor. The procedure came back ok. Please send contact information if possible.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 51 minutes later
Your situation is difficult to relate as I have looked at the manufacturers manual of zostavax and there is no abdominal pain as side effect.

Signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Serious side effect such as:

- fever, swollen glands, sore throat, flu symptoms; breathing problems; or severe or painful skin rash.

Less serious side effects include:

- pain, warmth, redness, bruising, itching, or swelling where the shot was given;
- diarrhea;
- joint or muscle pain;
- headache; or
- mild skin rash
The list not exhaustive.
Given that your symptom started 24 hours after the shot there are two possibilities: either the shot is related with the shot provoking irritable bowel diseases (then you continue suffering from the irritable bowel which subsequently became chronic) or it is mere coincidence and you are having an irritable bowel.
Your type of food, feeding habit should be monitored closely.
Gabapentin is not working that means, your pain is not neurogenic. You should be treated for irritable bowel disease. An abdominal ultrasound and abdominal CT scan has to be done in order to rule out other conditions. You can pay a visit to a visceral surgeon or gastroenterologist.

Just let me know if you have further worries.

Dr Nsah

Follow-up: Taking zostavax shot for shingle symptoms and gabapentin for abdominal pain. Any advice? 3 days later
Thank you for the insight. I have an appointment with my personal physician soon, it is great to have a second pair of knowledgable eye to help me.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 9 hours later

Your welcome and wish you a quick recovery. I will be interested in getting a follow up from you after your appointment. You can contact me directly through my personal profile

Thank you

Nsah, MD