Taking zolfresh with alprazolam for good sleep. High BP, memory loss are the side effects? Take long term?

Dear sir
i am taking zolfresh 10 mg 2 tab with alprazolam 0.5 for taking good sleep and i take some time nimesulide 100 mg mouth dissolving tablets ,can take this tab seems very long time(senns 1 and half year)before i was taking citalopram20 mg day now i don't take i have quit it i tray for many times to quit it. how to reduce this drug dose ? i try but i am not quit till today so what is side effect and high b p problem from this drugs? memory loss and disturb mood and angryness is my common problem. please send suggestion what i do? thank you sir
Posted Sun, 27 May 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 7 hours later

What I understand that you are a middle aged male with mood problems, sleep problems, often becoming angry.

Citalopram is a SSRI class of antidepressant usually effective for above mentioned problems, if doctor has diagnosed as depression. Someone who is taking citalopram and still having these symptoms, two things can be possible: a. citalopram is not working, dose of citalopram is less, diagnosis is not correct.

However above symptoms can also occur in bipolar disorder, personality disorder, drug use, marital problems etc.

Citalopram is not usual to cause hypertension. Rather, sometimes depression associated with anxiety can raise B.P. Or else, High B.P can be a medical illness co-occurring with this.

Citalopram does not cause dependence, rather as because are symptoms are not perhaps well controlled with adequate dose of SSRI, hence you may be finding difficulty in tapering citalopram. Or, sometimes SSRI cause "discontinuation syndromeā€¯, where a particular method has to be followed for tapering it.

I would suggest, a thorough psychiatric evaluation from a psychiatrist is highly needed and will help.

Hope, this addresses your concern.

I will be available for further discussion.

Wish you happy life.