Taking yasim for PCO. Started gaining weight and having migraine. Side effect?

Mar 2016

I was prescribed Yasim for treatment of PCO, this has led to sudden tremendous increase in weight.. also I used have bad migraine pains..
I read on the internet that these are side effects of this medicine and have discontinued it pls help me
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

First of all, you should know that every hormonal contraceptive medication has some side effect like irregular vaginal bleeding/ spotting, weight gain (mainly due to effect of estrogen), headache, nausea, vomiting, abdominal bloating, breast tenderness, mood swing etc.

Here, you may need to undergo some additional investigation like blood for LH/ FSH, complete thyroid profile, blood sugar & prolactin level etc to rule out other underlying causative factors.

Medical treatment is quite helpful in treating symptoms of PCOD with regularization of period. Generally, small cyst does not need any surgical treatment until it interferes with pregnancy.

Otherwise, you can opt for laparoscopy to remove cyst in case of resistant medical therapy or to avoid side effects of hormonal medication.

Alternatively, you can try combined drug therapy of ethinyloestradiol (estrogen) and cyproterone acetate (anti androgen). Medication like KRIMSON-35 or DIANE-35 are widely used to treat PCOD and it is taken like regular OCP- " Three weeks on (for 21 pills) and one weeks off (to get period)".

PCOD is mostly associated with insulin resistance or hyperinsulinemia and tends to develop type-2 diabetes. Therefore, metformin (like Glyciphage) may be needed in addition to above medication to prevent the same. Periodic monitoring of blood sugar is also required.

For diagnosed migraine headache, you can take flunarizine medication (like sibelium 10 mg) at bed time. Eye power test is also mandatory in such case.

The following measures are to be taken for healthy life style :

1) Take healthy diet with iron supplements. Complete avoidance of salty/ fatty/ junk/ spicy food stuffs which are XXXXXXX in high calorie.
2) Try to avoid stress/ tension by yoga/ deep breathing regularly (20-30 times).
3) Drink plenty of water and eat more green vegetables & fresh fruits.
4) Control body weight by regular physical exercise by means of running/ jogging/ treadmill etc.
5) Maintain personal hygiene. Always take a sound sleep with complete relaxation.

Hope above information is very much helpful & understandable to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.
Follow-up: Taking yasim for PCO. Started gaining weight and having migraine. Side effect? 5 hours later
Hello Doctor

Many Thanks for your advise and have decided a change in my routine,

Basis you advise I understand that PCO can lead to type 2 diabetes... I forgot to mention I was taking Glyciphage as well..

I was checking on the internet that symptoms of type diabetes are frequent urination, excessive thirst, blurred vision, itchiness etc which I am experiencing for sometime...

Request your guidance how can get this checked... Pls help

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for your follow up query. I am happy to help you.

To diagnose diabetes, you can undergo blood sugar test (both fasting and postprandial). In addition, oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) and estimation of blood HbA1c are very much useful. Normal value of fasting blood sugar (FBS) is 70-110 mg% and postprandial blood sugar (PPBS) is 120-140 mg%.

If FBS is more than 126 mg% or PPBS/ RBS (random blood sugar) is more than 200 mg% in two different occasions, it can be diagnosed as diabetes mellitus (DM). OGTT & blood HbA1c test are done to confirm the same.

FBS 110-126 mg% or PPBS 140-200 mg% is regarded as impaired glucose tolerance (IGT). It indicates future risk of development of diabetes and needs some interventional strategy like oral hypoglycemic drug therapy with physical exercise & strict diet control.

Here, you should consult with diabetologist following above mentioned test reports for suggestive measures.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Be well and stay healthy.

Dr Soumen