Taking warfarin as part of chemical management for AF, getting cramps. Relief from voltaren. Can I take both?

I am currently taking warfarin as apart of the chemical management of my AF condition but I also get cramps ( I have had cramps most of my life mainly in the instep of my feet) for which voltaren gives relief. can I take both?
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, talk to your physician first.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir
1. No, it is not advisable to take both the drugs together unless prescribed by your physician after carefully analyzing your clinical condition.
2. Warfarin as you know increases susceptibility to bleeding by inhibiting synthesis of clotting factors. This action helps in prevention of blood clot in patients of AF.
3. On the other hand, diclofenac also increases bleeding susceptibility by interfering with action of platelets (blood cells involved in normal process of clot formation).
4. Hence you will be much more susceptible to bleeding than your physician is expecting as a result of warfarin therapy. This may at times lead to serious bleeding at XXXXXXX sites. The extent and duration of bleeding will also be high if you get an inadvertent injury or cut.
5. Please discuss with your physician about your problem of cramps and get a suitable alternative.
Feel free to discuss further.
Sukhvinder Singh