Taking vyvanse and lexapro. Why am I feeling lightheaded and numbness in arms after eating?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
After eating I often get light headed. some times numbness in my arms and even my legs. what could this be? I have not lost a lot of weight or gained a lot. the sympthoms can last for 30 minutes to 3 hours after eating.

I am on vyvanse and lexapro.

am not sexually active.
Posted Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
You are most probably suffering from postprandial hypotension or hypoglycaemia .
Let me explain,
Dizziness after eating can be associated with a number of medical issues, most commonly postprandial hypoglycemia, where blood sugar levels drop after eating.
In addition to postprandial hypoglycemia, dizziness after eating can be associated with kidney or thyroid disease. In both cases, disruptions in normal function can lead to an imbalance of blood chemistry, potentially contributing to dizziness. Food changes the blood chemistry as the metabolism kicks into gear to process it, and one may feel unwell after meals.
Secondly a cardiovascular disorder or certain medications ( Vyvanse ) can cause postprandial hypotension ie sudden lowering of blood pressure after meals resulting in dizziness and numbness of limbs.
Apart from this ,People in emotional distress may develop disordered eating habits, sometimes contributing to dizziness after eating. Furthermore, medications like vyvanse or lexapro which can cause sideffects like vertigo and dizziness, and sometimes eating may be a trigger.

To confirm the exact cause in your case wether , postprandial hypotension or hypoglycemia or a sideeffect of medication you need to get yourself evaluated by your physician .Doctor can run a number of diagnostic tests to find out why you are feeling dizzy after eating. These can include blood pressure check and cardiovascular evaluation ,blood sugar tests, including tests after fasting, as well as after eating.
Other diagnostic options can be explored as necessary. Treatments can range from simply changing a medication to eliminate side effects to providing hypoglycemia treatments to control blood sugar with diet, exercise, medication, and other measures.

So I would recommend you get yourself checked as soon as feasible to confirm the diagnosis and start treatment .
Please do not stop any medication without your doctors advise .
Last but not the least try to avoid stress , have a healthy balanced diet and exercise daily to help your body recover faster.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries .