Taking vyvanse. Started missing periods. Is this the side effects of vyvanse?

My college daughter has been taking Vyvanse for about a year now as needed. She has not had a period since last May, and this is very concerning to me. The only change in her lifestyle has been the use of the drug Vyvanse. Could it be her dosage is too high? I would rather she stop taking it altogether.
Posted Mon, 19 Nov 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 4 hours later
Hello I would be happy to help you with your question!

First of all I can find no side effects with this drug related to cycle irregularity. So I don't think that this is the issue.

What she is experiencing is called secondary amenorrhea. It is the absence of a period for 6 months in a female who previously had regular cycles. Your daughter meets this criteria. There is a very clear way that this approached.

1. She needs to see an OBGYN
2. They need to do an exam
3. They need to check labs that would include thyroid testing and measure of a hormone called prolactin
4. She needs an ultrasound of the uterus

If this work up is normal, she should be given progesterone to induce a period. If this works, then usually she would just be cycled using birth control pills. If she does NOT get a period, then she would need an additional work up related to premature ovarian failure. This last point would be extremely unusual in someone her age!

So these are my most basic thoughts for you. I hope it helps. Please ask if you have more questions.