Taking vitamin e supplements. Hip replacement to be done. Should I stop taking medicine?

Question
i have a vut. supplement which has 48mgs of vit.E HOW MANY I.U of vit E IS THAT. I AM HAVING A HIP REPLACEMENT IN TWO WEEKS TIME, IS IT SAVE TO CONTINUE MY VIT. SUPPLEMENTS UP TO THAT DATE. THANK YOU..XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
hi and thanks so much for this important question. VITAMIN E SHOULD BE STOPPED BEFORE SURGERY. THIS VITAMIN MIGHT INCREASE THE TENDENCY OF BLEEDING DURING OR AFTER SURGERY. I suggest you stop the Vitamin now and inform your doctor you were in Vitamin E. Depending on the case and the clotting profile, some surgeons might even postpone the surgery.
Thanks for the question and I suggest you stop the Vitamin and get your surgeon s opinion immediately.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.