Taking vitamin d capsule. Started getting joint pain and blisters on feet. Side effect of medicine?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I am a a61 year female . I was given vitamin d(50,000 units) @ 1 capsule each week. I was given this because my vitamin d was low and this was given May 2012, by the third capsule I started to have a reaction. My left side joints, now have constant pain. I have had blisters on the top and bottom of both feet. This affects my walking (pain) my sleeping(pain on the left side) and range of motion is limited on my left side...
Posted Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Vitamins

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
The symptoms that you have described like blisters on the feet are not likely to be related to the vitamin D 3 supplementation that you took. It is likely to be a superficial skin infection which needs proper antibiotics and good skin care for relief.
The pain in the joints only on the left side could be due to the vitamin D 3 deficiency itself or a nerve related pain. You need to consult a neurologist for a detailed evaluation.
Till then you can take a mild pain killer like ibuprofen for relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Taking vitamin d capsule. Started getting joint pain and blisters on feet. Side effect of medicine? 40 hours later
With the large amount of vitamin D given,could it cause toxcitity as related to the to the blisters? Could the nerve damage be caused by the vitamin D dosage/overdosage? Could it be permanant?

Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The dose of vitamin D that has been given to you is not an overdose and will not cause any toxicity. This is the routine dosage given in case of vitamin D deficiency and should be continued for at least 8 weeks to get a response.
The blisters that you have will go away with proper treatment. Please do not worry.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Taking vitamin d capsule. Started getting joint pain and blisters on feet. Side effect of medicine? 30 hours later
Since the dosage is within protocol,has there been any instance of vitamin D causing or affecting nerves and causing pain like I've mentioned? Thank you for the information on the blisters,I'll ask my doctor about a treatment for that.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 minutes later
Vitamin D supplements are not likely to cause the nerve related pains or the symptoms like you are having. A physical examination by a neurologist might help in detecting the exact cause.
Please keep me informed regarding the progress.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.

Warm regards

Follow-up: Taking vitamin d capsule. Started getting joint pain and blisters on feet. Side effect of medicine? 37 hours later
Thank you for the insight. I have an appointment with my personal physician soon, it is great to have a second pair of knowledgable eye to help me.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thank you.
I am glad I could help.
Wishing you an early trouble free recovery.