Taking viagra to have intercourse. Prostate operation done. Facing trouble in passing urine and bowel movement.

Urologist
Question
hi I have always had trouble urinating ,got a stint put in my tract somewhere in 1999.in 2007 I had the neck of my bladder opened up last year I had the center of my prostate cut out I don't know how much.for the past 2 months I cant make my water,i sit on the flush for 5 minutes in the mornings it just dribbles then stops over and over feel like I have to go all the time.i have a very sore spot 1 inch or so to the right of my bellybutton for prob 4 years now it don't get any worse though,if I lift something heavy my water flow gets worse for 2 to 3 days .my privates are sore like a dull ache all the time.now I have to take half of a Viagra to have intercource all the time.my bowels never work properly.my family doctor done some tests but I feel he is missing something this certainly is not normal help is appreciated thank you
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 4 hours later
I do not know the nature of investigations that were done before you had the procedures done earlier, but it looks like there are two possibilities - either your bladder muscle is severely under-active, meaning it is unable to produce sufficient pressure to expel urine, or your urine passage is severely obstructed. This second possibility is unlikely considering that you have had a surgery to open up the neck of bladder followed by removal of a core of tissue, unless you have developed what we call a stricture of urethra.
What I suggest at this point is a baseline evaluation, meaning an ultrasound of your kidneys and bladder region, and an estimate of how much urine is in the bladder before voiding and after voiding.
This can be combined with a test called Uroflowmetry where you need to pass urine into a funnel which has a meter attached to it, which estimates the speed at which you are passing urine. Normally, you should pass urine at over 20ml/sec, and after passing urine, you should be not retaining more than 50-100ml of urine.
If the flow is very poor, or if you are retaining too much of urine, you might need a test to check if you have stricture of urethra.
This can be done by injecting a medicine into your urinary passage, and taking an Xray at the appropriate time. This is called a Retrograde urethrogram.
If there is no stricture, the best test would be to have URODYNAMIC evaluation which will assess whether there is obstruction or under-active bladder muscle. This is a highly specialized test, and thus you need to inquire locally who is the best for this examination.
Hope I have been able to help you.