Taking verapamil and bystolic for BP. Right medication?

I was taking verapamil and bystolic which controlled my blood pressure. When I asked about taking these together a doctor's statement on this site was "Betablocker with verapamil is irrational". My thought is this means they should not be taken together. Am I correct? Can you explain?
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Generally true

Detailed Answer:
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Both the drugs could potentially reduce the heart rate and also depress the muscle.
Therefore, the combination is almost uncommon, but not entirely unknown.

There are several classes of drugs and several drugs in each class – so that the physician has a wider choice, for the treatment of blood pressure.
If there is no arrhythmia or angina, a drug from a different class – usually an ACEI (Angiotensin Converting Enzyme Inhibitor) or ARB (Angiotensin Receptor Blocker) is usually chosen.

Have a second opinion

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck