Taking verapamil 240 extended release. Noticed swelling in ankle. What is the dosage of this medicine?

I may have taken two doses of verapamil 240 extended release this morning by mistake. It is now time for my nightly dose. Should I take it? My ankles are swelling in all likelyhood due to taking Verapamil 240 Extended release twice a day. What can I do to minimize the swelling? Many drugs are metabolized in the liver. How toxic is Verapamil 240 Extended Release taken twice a day?
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist.
You had written in first mail that you MIGHT have taken 2 tablets of 240 ER tablets of verapamil. It can be toxic the degree depends on which effect your are talking if you are talking about sinus bradycardia (slow heart rate) it can precipitate serious slow rate. Other effects are also graded. In short it should not be taken. In any case please do not take second dose. Discuss with your doctor about the indication for which it was prescribed? If for hypertension generally after reaching 240 you add another drug.

If more than 6 hours have passed and your pulse is more than 50 and you are not short of breath. Apart from swelling in ankles you do not have any symptoms you can wait till tomorrow but if any of the above is present you will go to ER as soon as possible.

Why you were taking Verapamil in this dose and how it is metabolized etc we can discuss later.

Regards. Good Luck

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
Medical Specialist & Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW