Taking venlafaxine for depression. Have mood swings and cries a lot. Take sleeping pill Zolpidem. Advise?

Hi I am 41 years old and have been taking venlafaxine XXXXXXX er 225 mg capsules for about 2 months now for depression. The problem I'm having for about 3 weeks now is that I cry all the time I am very moody and my temper has gone way past what it has ever been. I fight with my boyfriend for no reason at all. I am very pair anode of losing him. I took a job back that I can not stand just to pay my bills. I do take sleeping pills at nite and a lot of the time I take more than I'm suppose to just to sleep. So I don't sleep at nite. The sleeping pills r zolpidem tartrate 5 mg. I get so out of my head that I have thought of taking my own life figuring my kids would be better off without me. My kids r 19 and 11. My boyfriend and my kids just don't recognize me anymore.
Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to be admitted to a psychiatric hospital

Detailed Answer:

You are not responding to venlafexine 225 mg / day after taking for 2 months, then its not recommended to continue on the same.

In my opinion, you need to change medication.

As because you are suicidal now, and suicide is a medical emergency, therefore, you need to be treated in a psychiatric inpatient setting.

If you have associated medical condition like hypothyroidism etc, antidepressants may not show response unless you are treated for that medical condition.

Hope it helps. You must disclose suicidal idea to your family members.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Taking venlafaxine for depression. Have mood swings and cries a lot. Take sleeping pill Zolpidem. Advise? 1 hour later
I have thought about suiside but would never ever leave my kids without a mother. That would crush both of them. So for me that is the easy way out and would never do that to my kids.
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Depressive Individual has no control over suicide

Detailed Answer:
The usual progression is : wish to die followed by suicidal ideas / plan followed by suicidal attempt followed by complete suicide.

When depression does not improve, suicidality progress. The surge for suicidal thought can come at any time and you will be forced to do so without your knowledge. This is what we see in our clinical practice

Therefore, you must get admitted in the appropriate set up that we discussed, please

Good luck