Taking veltam 0.4 for a long time and unable to ejaculate during intercourse. What to do?

Critical Care Specialist
I have been taking veltam 0.4 for the last 5 years is it ok because i have not seen my doctor since then and also during sex i do not ejaculate
Posted Sun, 30 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for writing to us.

Veltam contains Tamsulosin which is an alpha blocker.
You can take this medicine as long as you want conservative treatment for benign enlargement of prostate and as long as you tolerate this medicine without side effects.
Problem with sex are side effects of all alpha blockers (Tamsulosin is no exception) which include problem with erection ,and retrograde ejaculation which means ejaculation into bladder ,that is what probably happening with you.

Ideally you should visit your Doctor every six months who may advice you to continue the medicine or stop it depending upon your clinical condition.

Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you have any more queries.

Dr Sadiq