Taking uvox 50 mg for ocd. Facing decreased libido, loose erection and loss of orgasm. Natural?

Psychiatrist
Question
I am taking UVOX 50 MG for OCD and I am facing a decreased Libido, loose erection and loss of orgasm.

Is this natural ? What are the ways to counter it as I have been prescribed to take this medicine and do not want this to affect my sexual life.

Thanks In advance XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 8 minutes later
Hello Mr XXXXXXX .......
Thanks for your query. I understand your concern with sexual side effects of the drug Fluvoxamine. Infact this is the commonest side effect reported when we prescribe the SSRI group of drugs to the younger age group. The ways to circumvent the problem include addition of bupropion/buspirone to your drug regimen that will act through dopamine/serotonin pathways respectively; start you exclusively on psychotherapy eg exposure and response prevention or add drugs like sildenafil citrate to your drug regimen that will ensure sustained erection by directly acting on your penile blood vessels. You can discuss these three strategies with your psychiatrist. Hope you find my suggestions beneficial.
Dr Sundar G
Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Taking uvox 50 mg for ocd. Facing decreased libido, loose erection and loss of orgasm. Natural? 13 minutes later
I have been having my medicines for 2 days and spoke to my phyciatrist about this but he is not appreciating the problem. He says that it is unlikely for medicine to cause this in 2 days. It can happen only after 3-4 week and not so immediate.

What should I do?

Thanks in Advance
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 42 minutes later
Ya agree it usually takes a few weeks time. Nevertheless that does not mean the role of drug can be completely ruled out. Wait for 2 weeks and the symptoms are likely to persist. You can rediscuss the issue with your psychiatrist at that point of time.
Dr Sundar

Follow-up: Taking uvox 50 mg for ocd. Facing decreased libido, loose erection and loss of orgasm. Natural? 8 minutes later
Thanks for the reply ,but I hope that it will not lead to impotence if I eat it for 2 continuous weeks like you said.

I know the questions sounds ridiculous but yet I would like to know.

Thanks in Advance,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 1 hour later
Nothing wrong in clarifying. I assure that it is a transient side effect. Once you stop the drug you will be allright in a week. Do not worry. It does not lead to impotence.
Dr Sundar