Taking trimethoprim for bad kidney infection. Developed symptoms of meningitis. Blood test done

Question
I was recently prescribed trimethoprim for a bad kidney infection I have had kidney stones twice and one of my kidneys doesn't empty out at the same rate as the other one after taking 4/5 doses I developed symptoms of meningitis and was admitted to hospital I had a set of bloods tests which alerted the doctor and I have since had a lumbar puncture and I am waiting for the results could this drug of caused this and should I of been prescribed this with my history ?
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Maruti Karale 26 minutes later

Trimethoprim does not lead to meningitis or symptoms like that.

Trimethoprim can be used in treatment of kidney infection and sometimes for meningitis also along with other antibiotics in combination.

Hope this clears your doubt.

Thank you.

Follow-up: Taking trimethoprim for bad kidney infection. Developed symptoms of meningitis. Blood test done 9 hours later
Thanks for the reply, but you didn't say whether or nor this drug should be prescribed for a patient with my history from what I've read on the internet and the drug leaflet that this shouldn't be given to a patient with existing kidney problems?
I have all of the side affects mentioned on the leaflet as well as being treated for suspected meningitis??

Answered by Dr. Maruti Karale 1 hour later

Thanks for the reply.

This drug can be used in patients with similar medical history, if the latest creatinine is normal and there is no obstruction to urine flow. Presuming your creatinine level and urine outflow at the time of prescription was normal, the use of trimethoprim is justified.

In patients with risk of kidney disease, trimethoprim can increase creatinine level; but it does not cause meningitis.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you need clarifications

Follow-up: Taking trimethoprim for bad kidney infection. Developed symptoms of meningitis. Blood test done 12 hours later
OK thanks
I still have pain in my kidneys and Im not on any medication now how can get to the bottom of what this problem is and why I keep having kidney infections and stones where do you suggest I go from here

Answered by Dr. Maruti Karale 13 hours later
Hello!

Thanks for the reply.

Hyperuricemia, hypercalcimia, fat malabsorption, renal tubular acidosis, hyperthyroidism and repeated kidney stones.You need to be evaluated for these causes.

Ultrasonography of Kidney-Ureter-Urinary bladder, renal function tests, urine test can help to rule out some of the causes.

Kidney stones or urinary tract obstruction due to any other cause may be the reason for repeated urinary tract infections.

A nephrologist can help you in such cases.

Hope I answered your query.
Thank you.