Taking trileptal, Geodon, Remeron, and Risperdone. Safe to take Garcinia Cambogia?

Hi I take trileptal, Geodon, Remeron, and Risperdone, is it safe to take Garcinia Cambogia?
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 10 hours later
Hello ma'am and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

As you are aware that Garcinia Cambogia is a relatively new herbal supplement, so its long-term effects have not been studied or documented. As with all herbal supplements, they claim not to have any drug interactions.

But, Garcinia Cambogia has shown to reduce blood sugar levels, so it is not to be used in patients with diabetes on drugs or insulin to lower blood sugar levels. It has also shown to combine with drugs that lower cholesterol levels and result in a condition called rhabdomyolysis (condition involving muscle degeneration).

As all your medications are psychiatric drugs, there should be no drug interactions. But I would still advise you to be careful, as mentioned earlier, herbal supplements are not approved by the drug control federations of any country, and so they are easily released into the market, without stringent trials or testing.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, or you could rate my answers after closing this discussion.

Best wishes.