Taking treatment for pleural effusion in lungs. Getting breathless with swollen feet. Any ideas?

Question
hello my father is getting lot swelling in feet and gets breathless with little movement , he is getting treated for pleural effusion in lungs , please suggest
Posted Tue, 22 Jan 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
I have gone through the reports attached here. Liver functions are deranged as well as important thing is anemia. Hemoglobin is 7 which can be one of the main cause for swelling and breathlessness.
Hemoglobin should be normalized. Again if pleural effusion is massive, it can be the cause for breathlessness.
swelling in feet can be caused by renal dysfunction or heart failure. You should discuss the same with your treating physician and the line of treatment your father is receiving. Correct hemoglobin as well.
I hope I have answered your query. Revert back in case of doubt.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.

Follow-up: Taking treatment for pleural effusion in lungs. Getting breathless with swollen feet. Any ideas? 17 minutes later
Thanks Doctor , His pleural effusion is completely gone and x rays are normal now but he has to continue with his medicine, His ECG is normal .
Please suggest if should consult a Renal expert in your forum as I am currently not with my father and I need to provide him with the medicines.

Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 16 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
I think his pleural effusion was of tuberculous origin, so no doubt he has to continue medicines.
You can consider nephrologist opinion in person for detailed examination; to make sure renal functions are normal. But at the same time, his liver functions are deranged. But so far cirrhotic changes are not seen on ultrasound. So consider that cause as well in future for edema.
I hope I have answered your query.

Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.