Taking treatment for hypothyroidism, guillain barre syndrome. Worried for weight gain, irregular period

Hi my name is XXXXXX and I been having Hypothyroidism for all long period of time. But recently I have gained like 15 pounds and being having Delayed menstrual periods. I also have a benign pituitary microadenoma that couldn't be treated cause I had Gullain Barre syndrome also in 2007 and they decided to leave it untreated. I want to have my periods on a regular basis cause I feel heavy all the time with all the liquid that I retain in my body. I'm using right now Armour Thyroid (1 grain) for my condition of hypothyroidsm. I just want to feel better. I've also noticed that when I feel like this I develop a scalp flakes all the time. If there's something I can do to feel better soon.??
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 3 hours later

I do understand that you are a 38 year old female being treated for hypothyroidism. pituitary microadenoma, gullian barre syndrome and your concern seems to related to your menstrual periods and fluid retention.

since you are putting on weight, it is possible that you would be under-replaced.I would like to assess your thyroid functions and fine tune your thyroid medication.

Having known about your pituitary adenoma it is preferable to assess your pituitary hormones like prolactin, LH, FSH, Cortisol and ACTH. Any of these hormonal abnormalities can also cause problems. It is preferable to have a complete evaluation, so that we dont miss a anemia or diabetes and so on.

I would be very happy to review you with these reports.

Follow-up: Taking treatment for hypothyroidism, guillain barre syndrome. Worried for weight gain, irregular period 33 minutes later
My Doctor send to do a Thyriod u/s that I will be performing very soon. But they only test me for tsh levels and since they came back normal...I don't recieve any futher treatment. The last tsh results from february came back with a TSH level of 0.67 and I know is a normal result but my sympyoms are telling me different. Also I forgot to tell you that I gave birth to my daughter 1 yr and seven months ago and during the pregnancy I only needed the lowest dose of Synthriod and after labor I remain with a very low dose for a long time (7-8 months) then my dose was increased and changed to Armour and it has kept on increasing little by little.
I also need a referral for all these labwork.
Can I be having a hormonal inbalance??
Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 35 minutes later

I agree your TSH has been normal, but having seen a pituitary microadenoma, i would prefer to get complete hormonal work-up, to rule out hormonal imbalance. Thyroid ultrasound can be done, but that would not help sort out your menstrual irregularity and fluid retention.

You could try speak to your PCP to get the hormones tested and we could take things from there. It may not be possible to derive a conclusion without these reports.