Taking thyroxine. Prescribed flucloxacillin for ripped hangnail. Is this medicine safe?

Due to a ripped hangnail I have a damaged finger which has become slightly infected. I went to the local walk in clinic at the hospital today and had it dressed and was given 500mg Flucloxacillin to take 4 times a day for 1 week.I have taken the first tablet with no affect but have read that this is not normally prescribed for people over 50 years of age.I am 69 but in good health and the only medication I take is 75mg thyroxine.Should I be concerned.
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 14 minutes later
Hi and thanks for your query,
I think it is not an absolute contraindication. Flucloxacillin is actually a drug of choice in this case. In people above 50, its use is supposed to be with caution, this means avoiding excessively high doses, which in young people, could be increased above certain thresholds.
If the wound is really wide ope, it would also be of interest to take Antitetatunus serum, if at all you are not completely vaccinated against tetanus, if you are, good and no worries.
Hope this helps and have a great day,
Luchuo, MD
Follow-up: Taking thyroxine. Prescribed flucloxacillin for ripped hangnail. Is this medicine safe? 30 minutes later
As I am a healthy 69 year old with no other medical conditions other than taking thyroxine would you confirm in your opinion that it would not be abnormal or of concern with me taking this 500mg dosage Flucloxacillin as prescribed. The wound is quite minor and small but in a painful position next to the side of nail on index finger.
My main concern was reading the warning of people over 50 using this medication.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,
Its not an issue as I said, the dose you are taking is very ok.
For now no worried,
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.