Taking thyronorm for thyroid problem. Chances of conceiving?

General Surgeon
My wife is having thyroid problem and she is taking thyronorm 150 mcg. what is the consequences of trying to have a chid will the child be healthy will my wife be able to with stand pregnancy, what are the precaution to be taken during pregnancy? she is 41 years old.
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Monitoring of Thyroid profile for safe pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic.
Greetings of the day!

She can safely continue to take thyronorm tablet. As pregnancy is a state of increased requirement of thyroid hormone, dose of thyronorm has to be adjusted. Thyroid profile(T3, T4 and TSH) has to be evaluated every month after conception. She will definitely have normal pregnancy if thyroid status is managed well by keeping thyroid profile in normal range.

My other concern apart from thyroid would be her age, 41 years (> 35yrs), which increases chance of chromosomal disorder like Down's Syndrome. Good early antenatal scan at 12 to 15 week of pregnancy and quadruple test at 16 to 20 weeks which can be planned in Consultation with an obstetrician, will rule it out.

Advise you to seek expert opinion of an obstetrician during early pregnancy to discuss and plan all the above.

WISH you both safe and healthy parenthood.

Best regards,
Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari
Consultant Pediatric Surgeon