Taking thyronorm for thyroid disorder. Should I change the medicine dose?

sir am 22yr old girl suffering from thyroid disorder(TSH-.99 T4-10.4) and am taking the medicine thyronorm 75 for the past 6 years.whether its the time to change the dose.thyronorm is the medicine for hypothyroidism is it? then what's its effect on hyperthyroidism.pls advice me sir....
thank you
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 2 hours later

Thanks for query to this forum.

You seem to be having Hypothyroidism and taking Thyronorm 75mcg/day. TSH is .99 and T4 is 10.4 are in normal range.

In Thyroid disorder dose change depends on result of thyroid function and clinical finding like Heart rate and symptoms. If dose is high for the patient then T4 level is more and symptoms of hyperthyroidism like fast heart rate, increased hunger (Appetite), perspiration, anxiety and weight loss can occur. You did not mention that you have such symptoms.
Before all these symptom appear we can detect rising level of T4 (Thyroxine).

Therefore you seen to be taking right medication - that is good; but you must check with your Physician at least twice in a Year.

Hope this information is helps you and if you have anything to ask, I will be available to answer that.
Dr. A. Dubey M.D.
Follow-up: Taking thyronorm for thyroid disorder. Should I change the medicine dose? 2 hours later
thank you sir.
my T4 value is 10.4 and TSH is .99 which shows that i have hyperthyroidism is it?
sir i want to improve my weight how could it be possible?
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 11 hours later
Thanks for your follow up.

If 10.4 reported as Hyperthyroid for that lab, then you may be required to reduce dose of Thyronorm.
We may repeat FT3, FT4 and TSH to be sure before reducing dose.

Please scan and attach the report of Thyroid function, So that I can understand better. You have a feature to upload the reports by yourself on the right side of this query page. Please utilize it.

Do you want to increase your weight? Let me know your height and weight.

Please send me above information so that I can answer in detail.

Dr. A. Dubey M.D.     
Follow-up: Taking thyronorm for thyroid disorder. Should I change the medicine dose? 1 hour later
sir now i don't have my lab report with me and i am sure about the values they are:-
Yes sir i want to improve my weight.
Please help me to improve my weight sir.
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 35 minutes later
Thanks for your prompt response.

Your T4 is 10.4 micro gm/dl; normal range is 4.5 to 12.5 micro gm/dl. Hence your T4 is within normal range.

Yes, you are under weight as your BMI is 17.4 it should be >19 minimum.

Please take good diet with high calories 2000 K cal balance of protein, Fats and Carbohydrates along with exercise aerobic and weight training.
You may also be given Vitamin and mineral supplements.

Hope this information is useful and helps to gain weight.

Please consult Physician and get proper prescription, and please keep me informed about progress.

Hope I have answered your query, if there is no more queries then please rate my answer and close this discussion.

Dr. A. Dubey M.D