Taking thyronorm for positive TPO antibodies. Started losing weight and sweating. Side effect?

Question
my sons oct 2012 report reads: T3:0.91, T4:9.0, TSH:3.79, Anti TPO Antibodies: 57.8...he has been put on thyronorm 25mg since then. Is this the right treatment track? He has lost further wait, sweat in palms and feet continues..Pls help. YYYY@YYYY
Posted Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 15 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in. I dont think thyronorm was indicated in this case. Thyroid fxn test was normal. There is no indication to start treatment just bcoz TPO antibodies are positive. Wt loss & sweating suggest side effects of excess thyronorm so it should be stopped. Stop thyronorm & repeat thyroid fxn test after 4 - 6 weeks. Some variation in TSH during serial tests are due to laboratory error.
Hope this helps
Shivaprasad

Follow-up: Taking thyronorm for positive TPO antibodies. Started losing weight and sweating. Side effect? 1 hour later
If you see the attached photoshot report of the earlier readings the original readings of t3, t4, tsh were out of range. hence thyronorm was started and later I am not sure why the doctor increased the dosage from 1 tab to 1 1/2 tab per day on empty stomach...

what would be the impact of anti tpo antibodies being out of range? how can that be regulated?

thanks

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
TPO antibodies have only prognostic significance. People with high levels haves higher chances of becoming hypothyroid in future. They dont require any treatment and cant be regulated either by drugs or by diet. I cant find any reason yo start thyronorm based on the reports you have provided including the earlier ones. Followup was what was indicated.
Shivaprasad