Taking thyronorm. Found out pregnant. Vomited after taking thyroid medicine. What should I do?

Mar 2016

I am a Thyroid Patient on Thyronorm 100 mg since last 1 and half yrs i have concieved after a long time for my second pregnancy and running 14 week as of today ,My Gynac has suggested not to miss the Thyroid medicine ,But today i had my Thyroid medicine in morning and due to pregnancy morning sickness vomitted just after having the thyroid tablet , i dont recognize but whether the tablet came out but am scared if the medicine may have come ot after vomiting .

I am also suggested to have Duphaston in afternoon . Pl advice
Posted Sun, 17 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 53 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to give your answer.

If you vomited out soon after taking the thyroid tablet, then you can take one additional tablet after consultation with your obstetrician.

Otherwise, skipping one tablet does not cause any harmful effect to growing fetus or your health. It is preferable to take thyroid medication at least 2 hours after eating and one hour before eating.
You should not take these items like iron, calcium, caffeine or grapefruit within 2 hrs of taking thyroid medication and also large glass of water. These reduce the efficacy of the medicine.

Duphaston is synthetic progesterone supplements. It is very much helpful to support pregnancy and prevent miscarriage. So you can continue 1-2 months more according to your doctor advice.

Follow some basic things for healthy pregnancy:

1) Take Healthy protein XXXXXXX diet with extra 350 Kcal/day and eat leafy vegetables & fresh fruits. Puffed rice is useful to avoid morning sickness.
2) Drink more water to stay hydrated & for better feto-placental circulation.
3) Take an adequate bed rest and preferably 8-10 hrs daily in divided schedule.
4) Try to avoid stress/tension/emotional upset by regular XXXXXXX breathing.
5) Main personal hygiene including breast & genital care with proper washing.
6) Take Iron/calcium supplements from 16 weeks onwards, Two doses of TT in the 2nd trimester and complete all necessary investigations.
7) Periodic measurement of Weight gain and BP. 10-12 kg weight gain is normal in pregnancy period.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen