Taking testosterone injections for last few years. Noticed elevation in PSA level. What should I do?

my psa is 3.6 and my total testosterone is at 70 and was taken in the morning last thursday. I was taking testosterone injections for two years and last month my psa went to 4.5 so I quit the injections six weeks ago.I was getting 200 mg every two weeks, I am 5 10 and weigh 280.
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 24 hours later
Welcome to the forum.
There is no clear answer to this.
If the clinical situation warrants testosterone replacement, then it is worthwhile doing so, even though there is increased risk of prostate cancer by doing so.
Since prostate cancer is slow growing, there is no need to panic by the small rise that happened recently.
If the PSA rises again after the next dose, it is worthwhile a prostate biopsy to rule out cancer, especially if there is family history of prostate cancer.
Unfortunately, there is no specific cut off level of PSA to suggest absence of cancer. PSA only predicts the probability of having cancer at any particular level of PSA.
I hope i have made some meaningful discussion.
Best regards