Taking tenkorex for UTI. Noticed swelling, red spots on vagina. Diagnosed with herpes. Proper diagnosis?

Hi I was in to my 4th day of tenkorex 500mg for a UTI, the next day my vaginal area was swollen, red and had 3 little ulcers either side of my inner labia. I went to my doctor as I was in pain and she looked at me and said herpes. No blood test or swab taken. I have suffered strep B and had reoccurring thrush, due to antibiotics. I have been with the same partner for 2 years, we discussed everything and he has never had herpes or played away from an x 18year marriage. I am the same, netiher of us has even had a cold sore! I dont understand and haven't had anything like this before. The antibiotic upset my stomach, constant nausea. Surely I need a blood test or swab to get a definite answer as to what this is? I'm so worried and upset now.
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Though the Herpetic lesions are typical and can be diagnosed on clinical examination it is always better to back the fact up with a diagnostic test.

Some of the fungal and bacterial infections also can lead to ulceration in the genitalia which can mimic herpes sometime. Hence, it would be a better idea to get a herpes antibody test done.

Meanwhile do continue the antibiotic as it can treat the condition if it’s due to bacterial infection and also prevent secondary bacterial infections if it is due to herpes.

Though there is risk of fungal infections like thrush with frequent antibiotics, I would recommend you to continue the antibiotics owing to the fact that an active infection is in existence.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: Taking tenkorex for UTI. Noticed swelling, red spots on vagina. Diagnosed with herpes. Proper diagnosis? 21 hours later
After reviewing herpes sites/photo's etc.

I feel that I am in a very low risk bracket, as I have only had 4 sexual partners in my life, all long term, all with no signs of genital herpes ever, 2 only with cold sores and I knew the risk, therefore oral sex/kissing was a no!

Is there anyway that the tenkorex could cause side effects in the vaginal area, I didn't take any yesterday at all and I am feeling so much better, the ulcerations have diminished and are not painful. I didn't notice blisters and have not experienced blisters or spots like the photos of herpes at all or being uncomfortable in this area until taking this medicine. The pictures of herpes does not look like mine at all (only small ulcers - no weeping/discharge/crust etc)Will my doctor be able to carry out this antibody test and be able to tell the type of HSV if it is?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

No, Tenkorex may not cause the side effects you suspect. It could be an coincidental finding.

I too doubt it to be herpes based on the description you provided but I still recommend you to get the Herpes antibody test done. Yes, your doctor will help you get the same done.

Wish you good health.