Taking tamiflu for flu. Having abdominal pain, facial dryness and sore throat. Side effect?

4 days ago, I was diagnosed with the flu within 24 hours of symptoms. Started Tamiflu on evening of 3/14/13 and took last one afternoon of 3/1713 (took 75mg x 6).
I stopped because I was concerned about side effects (had abdominal pain and noticed some facial skin dryness). I have 4 pills left (out of the original 10), it's been 27 hours since my last 75mg dosage.
Would you advise I restart dosing or waiting and see how my body handles the flu? I feel pretty good (no more headache, cough, fever, or congestion), still have a slight sore-throat (that comes and goes) abdominal pain went away about 4 hours ago.
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Tamiflu is a prescription medication used to treat the influenza, or flu, virus. It can shorten the duration of the flu if taken as soon as symptoms start.
There is no evidence for efficacy of TAMIFLU in any illness caused by agents other than influenza viruses types A and B.
This medication works best when amount of the medicine in the body is kept at a constant concentration or level and so the drug is taken at evenly spaced intervals.
Stopping the medication early may allow the virus to continue to grow which may result in relapse of infection.
Since you have already stopped the medication for more than 24 hours,there is no point taking this again ,just to finish the remaining 4 pills.
If your symptoms worsen,it would be better to talk to your doctor rather than restarting the medicine of your own.
Take hot liquids,do warm saline gargles and avoid cold drinks for few days.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Taking tamiflu for flu. Having abdominal pain, facial dryness and sore throat. Side effect? 21 hours later
Thank you for the above answer. I'm resting as much as possible, taking fluids, eating fruits and vegatables and taking supplements to boost my immune system (e.g. Elderberry, zinc, vitamin C, garlic), in trying to prevent a relapse.

How much time must pass after the last dosage, before I can consider myself safe from relapse?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later

I think if you don't get any symptom for another 3 to 4 days, it can be assumed that virus has gone.
Normally viral flu doesn't last for more than 7 to 8 days.