Taking taking fluni 20, restyl 0.25 and lonazep 0.5 for anxiety and unknown fever. How to get rid of it?

Hello Sir,
I need a help. I have been taking flunil (20) in the morning, restyl (0.25) and lonazep (0.5) after dinner for my Anxiety/ severe feeling of unknown fear. I want to get rid of these however when I stop taking lonazep the problem persist. Kindly help me. It has been more than a year that I am on these medications.
Posted Sun, 28 Oct 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 5 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Anxiety is defined fear of unknown. Other symptoms of anxiety which may or may not be present in your case: nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own health, tremor, muscle spasm, heaviness in body, easy fatigability, headache, sleep disturbance, palpitation and dry mouth.

Anxiety occur due to neurotransmitters imbalance in brain most commonly involving serotonin neurotransmitter.

In drug treatment two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group (like restyl and lonazep in your case) of medicines are used and for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) (like flunil in your case) are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect. Non drug treatment like cognitive behaviour therapy (form of psychotherapy) also takes weeks to show its effect.

All these process is complex. I have just simplified it to make you understand it. So, your treatment is appear to right but in some cases improvement may take time. Although I understand that you are suffering, but you have to keep patience.

With above advice following simple measures will help you:
-Decrease worrying about symptoms as they will cure after treatment.
-Healthy diet: Milk and fruits in diet.
-Daily morning walk and breathing exercise.

Some time patient (40% cases) did not improve with initial treatment, in that case one of the following steps are used:
-Detection and correction of vitamin deficiency (specially vitamin B12): so continue vitamin supplement and fruits/milk in diet.
-Screening of thyroid dysfunction: Get serum T3/T4 and TSH level done
-Stop substance use if any (specially alcohol)
-Increase the dose of current medicine: like increase in dose of flunil
-Change of existing medicine
-Addition of other medicine

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.