Taking sysron to postpone period. Is this pill effective to avoid pregnancy?

May 2013
for last three days I am taking sysron n for postponing my periods...I want to know is this pill effective to avoid pregnancy also or should i take any other contraceptive pills....Pls suggest
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 53 minutes later
Sysron n contains norethisterone.
It can be used in postponing the periods.
When it used from the first day of the menstrual cycle to 28 continuous days, it can prevent pregnancy in that particular cycle.
If you start using in the middle of the cycle complete protection cannot be expected.
But for contraceptive purpose that much dosage of progesterone is not necessary you can use low dose combined pills or XXXXXXX pills.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Follow-up: Taking sysron to postpone period. Is this pill effective to avoid pregnancy? 8 hours later
I narrate you my period cycle..last month my period started on 10th and ended on 15..This month i have started taken sysron n for last three days to postpone my periods i m expecting my husband to come on 14 th of this month..Since we are recently married and both of us are working...We dnt want to plan for child right at this moment.....In this situation will it be risky to have unsafe intercourse during 15 Apr to -20 Apr...My period cycle is on 10th of every month.....and if I need to take some other contraceptive pills , Can you suggest some of them...I-pill or unwanted 72 are the two pills easily available...Can I take these pills along with sysron n together....
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 4 hours later
As you are having regular cycles, usually ovulation will not occur during the end and beginning of the menstrual cycle.
So the possibility of pregnancy is less in between 15th an 20th.
You can take sysron n for postponement of periods and you have to take this till 20th.
After you stop the tablets you will get withdrawal bleeding in 4 to 5 days.
If you want any regular method of contraception, you may use combined oral pills like XXXXXXX 21, XXXXXXX etc.
You have to start them from the first day of the cycle and have to take for 21 days with 1 week break.
If you and your husband are working at different places and if you do not need regular contraception, you can plan intercourse during safe period of the month without need of contraception.
Usually 5th to 10th day and 20th to 28th day of the menstrual cycle are safe periods in 28 days cycle.
Emergency pill should not be used in a regular basis. You can use that in case of any unexpected intercourse during the period of ovulation to prevent pregnancy.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.