Taking synthroid. Lump in neck and coughing fits. Ultrasound showing multi nodular goiter. Advised for thyroid removal. Advise?

I have been taking Synthroid for about 6 years or so after my PCP found a lump in my neck and did an ultrasound of my thyroid. A couple months ago, the lumps got bigger. I had another ultrasound to find that I have a multi-nodular goiter - 5 lumps on one side and 4 on the other. My thyroid blood tests were perfect, so I guess the medicine I'm on has been working. I had 2 needle biopsies last months which show no cancerous cells. The general surgeon I saw wants to remove the entire thyroid/goiter. Should I get a second opinion by an actual endocrinologist? My voice cracks once in a while. I am a "loud swallower" and I have some coughing fits once in a while. I have uploaded by blood test results.
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Endocrine referral necessary

Detailed Answer:
I concur with your inclination of seeing an endocrinologist.

Although your PCP and general surgeon have helped you in evaluating these lumps, I still strongly recommend you see an endocrinologist. It is possible that eventually the endocrinologist may suggest the same plan of action but it would still be totally worthwhile to undergo a systematic assessment by an endocrinologist.

Up until 2006 or so it was fairly common to use synthroid to keep thyroid nodules in check. However new evidence and guidelines emerged around that time suggesting that this practice was not as effective as previously thought and therefore is not recommended anymore.
So it is quite likely that you will not need that medication if your thyroid function as indicated by your lab tests remains normal despite going off thyroid medication.

I have noted your neck symptoms.

For more information on thyroid lumps, peruse this link :