Taking stilnoct for insomnia. Suffering from severe depression. What medication should be done?

My mother is suffering from severe depression for last couple of days.
Symptoms are - 1. not interested to talk to anyone, 2. not willing to go out, 3. Loosing appetite, 4 dependency on sleeping pills 5. worthlessness/frustration 6. sense of failure. 7. always feeling something inside the body 8. always sits at home and thinks that something is wrong in her. 9. suicidal tendency.

It started after starting the medicine Stilnoct 12.5mg for treating Insomnia.
Current medicine continuing is Aculip-H, digeplex T, Pantocid DSR
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 19 minutes later

I have noted your complaints.
The symptoms that you have mentioned are suggestive of depression.
Yes, I agree that Stilnoct, chemically Zolpidem can cause depression in certain individual. The options available with you are

1. Urgent evaluation for depression by a psychiatrist and deal accordingly. I mean to find out the exact cause (is it related to medicine or she has the inherent tendency of depression) and treat it.
2. As it is mostly related to drug induced, you may gradually withdraw and visit a psychiatrist after about 1-2 weeks if the symptoms are persistent.

I hope that I have clarified your query.

If you have any doubts, please get back to me.
Best wishes.