Taking stamlo beta for 8 years for hypertension . Experiencing memory loss, fatigue. Is it the side effect ?

i am taking stamlo beta for 8 years for hypertension treatment. recently i am experiencing memory loss, fatigue and very low confidence level. Is is side effect of the drug?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Stamlobeta contains 2 drugs namely amlodipine and atenolol.
Fatigue certainly is a side effect of both drugs on long term use.
Low confidence level might be due to the depressive effect of atenolol.
Memory loss has not been reported that commonly in literature, so I do not think it is a common occurrence with these drugs.

In case, your lifestyle is adversely effected due to the above reasons, it would be better if you talk to your prescribing physician about further options. Never discontinue this medication abruptly. Your doctor will keep you on noted schedule in case you need a change or dose regulations accordingly.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.