Taking stamlo D 5 mg for BP. Noticed swelling of ankles and feet. Safe to take eritel ch 40?

I have been using Stamlo D 5 mg for my blood pressure. Still my blood pressure is 140/90 and I am 55 years old. One of the things I have been noticing is swelling of ankles and feet. Recently my physician prescribed Eritel CH 40 mg. I have not used the medicine yet, but would like to know how it is different than (1) Stamlo and (2) what CH stands for as I cannot find the info in the web. Also CH is not readily available, will H can be substituted. Thank you for your help with my questions.
Posted Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 1 hour later

1. Eritel CH 40mg contains Telmisartan 40 mg + Chlorthalidone 12.5mg. And stamlo D is a combination of Amlodipine 5mg + hydrochlorothiazide 12.5mg.
Ankle edema is a common side effect of stamlo and this probably the reason why your doctor has changed it to Eritel CH.

2. CH stands for Chlorthalidone & H stands for hydrochlorothiazide. Chlorthalidone is approximately 1.5 to 2.0 times as potent as hydrochlorothiazide and the former has a much longer duration of action. Besides that Chlorthalidone is superior to hydrochlorothiazide in preventing cardiovascular events.

3. Eritel CH does not have this side effect of developing peripheral edema. Therefore you can start taking these medicines. Along with medicines you also need to decrease salt intake in your diet & do moderate form of exercise.

I hope I have answered your query. In case you have any further question I will be happy to help you.