Taking spirulina tablets. Getting cramps below rib cage. Side effect?

Jun 2015

hi I have begun taking spirulina tablets(approx 2 weeks) every afternoon i have Cramping?stitch? in my right side from just below rib cage approx a hand with wide?
Posted Sun, 24 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 2 hours later

Spirulina is considered as a source of complete protein, consumed as a nutritional supplement.
And various studies have shown Spirulina supplementation to have no harmful effects on body.
However, some spirulina supplements have been found to be contaminated with a toxin known as microcystins, which can cause gastrointestinal disturbances and liver damage.

Other than that, cramping pain in right side below the rib cage can be caused due to:
1. Ovarian cyst
2. Disease involving the pancreas, liver, gallbladder, or kidney stones.

Investigations such as an Ultrasound scan of abdomen will be helpful in clinching the diagnosis.
So, it is important to consult a Gastroenterologist and get a proper physical examination done to find out the exact cause. So that appropriate management steps could be taken.

Wishing you a Good Health. Let me know if I need to clarify further.
Thanks & take care.