Taking sotret and erithomycin for acne. Huge exposure to oily and fatty food. Reason for elevated sgot, sgpt?

Question
hi. My sgot is 80 and sgpt is 114. While bilirubin is 23.3.

Don't take alcohol or smoke. Have had huge exposure to oily and fatty food for past one month and also to High sugar.

Have been taking sotret and erithomycin for acne for past 3 months. What should I do?
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Andy Fine 24 minutes later
Both of your drugs may affect and worsen liver function. Certainly erythromycin is metabolized by the liver and can effect by elevated liver function testing. First thing, I would make sure you are tested for hepatitis B and C. Most emerging country causes of elevated liver tests are because of infectious hepatitis. There are many other causes. If you have a fever, he could have an infection in the bile duct exiting liver. These liver tests are mildly elevated, but the bilirubin is excessively elevated. This suggests some kind of obstructive process, which also needs to be considered. Your sugar, alcohol, smoking, and fatty food intake probably had nothing to do with this. I hope you have a good day and this is helpful.

Follow-up: Taking sotret and erithomycin for acne. Huge exposure to oily and fatty food. Reason for elevated sgot, sgpt? 41 minutes later
I had checked the bilirubin range to be 6-20 for males. Is. 2.3 very high and what are the possible hepatitis b and c expected consequences?

Answered by Dr. Andy Fine 8 hours later
You seen to have a different reference range than we have in America; so that is not very high.

Hepatitis B and C are both chronic diseases that do not cause symptoms but take years to have any problems.

Follow-up: Taking sotret and erithomycin for acne. Huge exposure to oily and fatty food. Reason for elevated sgot, sgpt? 51 minutes later

I am sorry, it was a BIG blunder from my end. My report is as follows:

Test Name Method Value Reference Range

BILIRUBIN - TOTAL     PHOTOMETRY      0.75     mg/dl      0.30 - 1.20

BILIRUBIN -DIRECT     PHOTOMETRY      0.23     mg/dl      0 - 0.20

BILIRUBIN (INDIRECT)     CALCULATED      0.52     mg/dl      0 - 0.9

GAMMA GLUTAMYL      PHOTOMETRY      23.4     U/l      M: 0 to 55 -
TRANSFERASE (GGT) F :0 to 38

ASPARTATE (SGOT )     PHOTOMETRY      80.8     U/l      M: 0 to 37
AMINOTRANSFERASE F: 0 to 31

ALANINE (SGPT)      PHOTOMETRY      114.5     U/l     M: 13 to 40 -
TRANSAMINASE F: 10 to 28

PROTEIN - TOTAL      PHOTOMETRY      7.4     gm/dl      6.6 - 8.3

ALBUMIN - SERUM     PHOTOMETRY      4.21     gm/dl      3.5 - 5.2

SERUM ALBUMIN/      CALCULATED      1.32     Ratio      0.9 - 2.0
GLOBULIN RATIO

What do you make of this?

Also, homocysteine test says the following
test method Value Units
HOMOCYSTEINE     PHOTOMETRY      17.74     µmol/L

ADULT MALE : 6 - 15 µmol/L
ADULT FEMALE : 3 - 12 µmol/L
ELDERLY > 65YRS : 15 - 20 µmol/L

Should I be worried?

I think this should be my last question :)

Answered by Dr. Andy Fine 8 minutes later

No, you should not be worried. But, you need to get checked by a physician. Your liver condition needs to be evaluated. Then a diagnosis and treatment is required.

Hope this helps.