Taking skelaxin for cervical strain. Frequent gas problem and pain in thigh area. What's the problem?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
pain in upper thighI just got finished taking skelaxin for a cervical strain and I think this maybe a strain or sprain. it's a dull pain in my groin more in the actual joint of my hip. 800mg ibuprofen and heat alleviate the pain but movement makes it worse. I'm a 24yr old white male I weigh about 270 and I'm 5'9. I've also have had a lot more frequent gas since this has started.
Posted Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Well, it can be due to early symptoms of Osteoarthritis , this is the most common type of hip arthritis.
Hip arthritis symptoms tend to progress as the condition worsens.

This condition is diagnosed with physical examination and with x-rays.
Line of treatment is- Physical therapy, Anti- inflammatory medications, Joint supplements like- Glucosamine and Chondroitin.

I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get the X-ray/MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance.

Taking ibuprofen in empty stomach and without any antacid, could cause gastritis and might be the cause of frequent gases. So take these drugs under supervision of your doctor.

Hope this information helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Follow-up: Taking skelaxin for cervical strain. Frequent gas problem and pain in thigh area. What's the problem? 7 hours later
I have been then ibuprofen with food and 20 mg omeprazole.. should I seek care immediately?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 5 hours later

Thanks for writing us back.

Excessive production of gas and increased flatulence may occur because of:
(1) the greater ability of some bacteria to produce gas;
(2) maldigestion or malabsorption of sugars and polysaccharides; and
(3) bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine.
This symptom is unlikely to be related to the hip pain.

However I would definitely suggest evaluation and the test described in my previous reply at the earliest.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.