Taking simvastatin and now have a UTI. Started taking sulfamethoxazole. Having burning. Drug interaction?

Hi I am taking simvastatin 20mg a day. I now have a UTI and started taking sulfamethoxazole-TMP DS. By taking that with the simvastatin, would the other drug not work for the UTI. I am on my 7th day of sulfamethoxazole. Last day and still burning. That's all Just burning
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sandhya Manorenj 1 hour later

There is no drug interaction between both these groups of drugs.

For persistent dysuria you need to have plenty of liquids 3l/day, you can also have citrasoda liquid 10 ml thrice daily which will alleviate your symptoms.

Need to repeat urine routine, culture, sensitivity, and plan for further treatment as per reports

Consult local doctor/family physician for prescription and further plan.

Hope this will help you.

Follow-up: Taking simvastatin and now have a UTI. Started taking sulfamethoxazole. Having burning. Drug interaction? 1 hour later
does it mean that it could be something else i have. Been married 34 years. Last time this happened the GYN had to do some in-depth work and to me still did not have the right answer except that it was women that do invetro injections get this infection. I said that not possible with my History. No babies here. Can you suggest a specialist i should go to on this matter?
Answered by Dr. Sandhya Manorenj 12 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Based on details you need to undergo ultrasound scan and know whether there are any vesico uretral reflex, hydronephrosis and other structural lesion which are the remote complication following hysterectomy (complication due to adhesion) All these can lead to recurrent consult Urologist for same.

Hope this will help you.