Taking simethicone for bloating and pressure in the stomach. What is the dosage?

I am taking simethicone for bloating and pressure in the stomach. It's 180mg. The directions on the box says not to take more than two in a 24 hour period. I read online some people take as many as 8 per day. How many can I safely take because two just does not help.
Posted Fri, 2 Aug 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Omer 55 minutes later

SIMETHICONE is a bloating + flatulance relieving drug.

The maximum dose is 360 mg 4 times a day after meals and at bedtime, as needed

Siimethicone comes in different formulation like capsules , gel , drops , oral tablet.

All these have different dosing of simethicone like drops had 40mg , capsule has 80mg and 180mg and so on.

Phazyme® Ultra Strength: 180 mg
Gas-X® Children's Tongue Twisters™: 40 mg (16s) [cinnamon flavor]
Suspension, oral [drops]: 40 mg/0.6 mL (30 mL)
Tablet, chewable, oral: 80 mg, 125 mg

I would not recommend to go beyond 360mg/day.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Taking simethicone for bloating and pressure in the stomach. What is the dosage? 15 minutes later
You said 360mg 4 times a day. But then you said you recommend no more than 360 mg per day. So are you saying I cannot take 3 or 4 of the Gas X 180mg in a day, I can only take 2 per day?
Answered by Dr. Omer 34 minutes later
Hello again

Thankyou for understanding.

I have said that the maximum dose of simethicone you can take in a day is 360mg , in divided doses of 2-4 times, meaning 80mg of simethicone can be taken after every 6 hours.

You are already using high strenght , so 2 doses of 180mg will be maximum.

Studies have been done on maximum dose of 500-600mg/day but a serious side effect increased.

In that side effect which occured in some patients , chest tightness , dizziness , tachycardia , shortness of breath etc. occured.And it was thought to be of a allergic reaction.

You can discuss with your doctor about other drugs like domperidone etc. which will have add on effect.

Hope this helps.