Taking ritalin, lergigan, gabapentine, efexor for few years. Gaining weight after taking quetiapine. Alternate medicine?

Since one month i have been on 50 mg quetiapine before i go to sleep and it really helps.
I cant stand the sudden weight gain though. Is there another med i can switch to?
I'm also on ritalin,lergigan,gabapentine,efexor and have been for a number of years. My doctor prescribed queteapine to help me fall to sleep which i always had trouble with
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Kappan 45 minutes later

I understand your concern of gaining weight due to being on Quetiapine. It is a known side effect of the medication. Quetiapine along with other medicines is giving you a supportive effect. There are other classes of medicines which can be given instead of Quetiapine. If you are having difficulty with it, you need to discuss with your psychiatrist for a change in medication.

The decision of changing a medicine depends purely on your treating doctor. He/She will be the best person to assess you and then prescribe.

Hope I have been of some help.