Taking requip from long time. What are the side effects if taken off the medicine?

can requip rebound than what do you do? I have taken it for years 40mg a day and my husband was just killed in a fall from a tree in our yeard
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Omer 2 hours later

I am Dr.Omer and I am here to help you with your query

As you have said you are taking requip (ropinirole ) for years at a dose of 40mg (for parkinsonism? or restless leg syndrome ? ) and your hasband had a fall

If I were to be your treating doctor, I would strongly disagree with sudden stoppage of requip , that to at such a high dose of 40mg/day. Sudden stopping of requip is known to be associated with NEUROLEPTIC MALIGNANT SYNDROME (NMS) with rebound parkinsonism symptoms. You feel drowsy, lethargic, confused, sweaty, feverish, you may have loss of urinary control / hallucinations / headachea and so on

So I would strongly recommend to against stopping requip cold XXXXXXX Your doctor can follow a slow tapering withdrawal of requip over 2-4 weeks, if stopping this drug is essential.

Hope this answer your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.