Taking ramipril for high BP. How does it affect with alcohol?

I am taking ramipril for high blood pressure, 2.5 a day
can you tell me how it is affected by alcohol, or how it affects you with alcohol.
, or if the rampril affect the alcohol etc

Hi, just to let you know, I am no longer taking any calcium blockers.
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 2 hours later
Ramipril is an anti hypertensive medicine. It lowers BP by inhibiting angiotensin converting enzyme. This enzyme forms angiotensin 2 which constricts our blood vessels. So ramipril by inhibiting ACE has a dilatory effect on blood vessels( it is a vasodilator), thus lowering blood pressure.
Sometimes this BP lowering by ramipril presents as dizziness, light headedness. Ramipril also has sedation effects.
Concomitant use of alcohol with ramipril may enhance these side effects of dizziness, light headedness and sedation.

As alcohol has some interaction with ramipril, therefore its advised that it should be taken in moderation or lesser quantities while being on ramipril.
Secondly high BP is a risk factor for heart attack and alcohol as well as smoking too adds to this risk. So either ways a hypertensive patient should always take alcohol in moderation.

Hope I have been successful in my endeavour to explain the interaction between alcohol and ramipril. Should there be another query, please write back.