Taking ramipril. Developed signs of oral thrush. Is this due to medicine?

Hi, I have been taking 5 mg ramipril for 12 months now, I have twice recently developed signs of oral thrush. Could Ramipril be a possible cause?
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 2 hours later

Thanks for writing your query ,

Ramipril is a Antihypertensive drug, an ACE inhibitor used in the treatment of high blood pressure and congestive heart failure. I hope you are taking this medication under a physician guidance as prolonged use of this drug may lead to certain adverse effects.

Prolonged use of certain antibiotics and corticosteroids are associated with recurrent development of oral thrush.

Antihypertensive can rarely and indirectly be associated with oral thrush - ramipril leads to decreased salivary secretion and mouth dryness or xerostomia - xerostomia or dry mouth makes the oral cavity susceptible to any kind of infection, bacterial or fungal including oral candidiasis (fungus). That being said, ramipril has not reported as a cause oral thrush in clinical practice.

I would suggest you to consult your treating doctor for a detailed clinical examination. If you also have be suffering with xerostomia, you may discuss with your physician and talk to him about the drug induced xerostomia and thereby oral thrush. In the absence of dry mouth, I wouldn't relate ramipril with oral thrush.

I hope you are being treated well. The following are a few simple treatments of oral thrush:
1. You can do symptomatic treatment at home by regular mouth rinsing with antiseptic mouthwash like betadine or chlorhexidine or simply with lukewarm saline water.
2. Maintain good oral hygiene , drink lot of water and keep yourself hydrated , avoid alcohol, carbonated drinks and smoking as it may worsen the condition.

Do write to me if you need further assistance ,

Get well soon ,

take care,

Regards ,
Dr.Farah Hussain.