Taking pulse therapy for pemphigus vulgari oral infection. What are the precaution to be taken?

My mother is facing pemphigus vulgari Oral infection, she is taking pulse theraphy and it is for 18 months and she took only one sitting recently and this theraphy is for 3 days every month for 18 Months, is it ok if she take the treatment and is there any other medication it has . what are the precautions to take ,please suggest.
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 28 hours later
Hi dear,

Thanks for writing in.

Pemphigus vulgaris is a autoimmune disease caused by antibodies against and mucosa.It is not an infection.
Pulse therapy is a treatment in which high dose steroids are given every month on 3 days.

Pulse therapy is a good treatment option for Pemphigus. It can be curative treatment for Pemphigus.
You should continue with the pulse therapy.

My advice to you would be-
-Continue with therapy .Do not miss any schedule of therapy. Take it continuously for 18 months.
-Do not take any drugs without permission of your doctor.
-If she has oral ulcer she can take Xylocaine viscous gel before meal it will allow her to take food orally.
-Use betadine mouth wash and Listerine mouth wash .Keep good oral hygiene.
-Take daily calcium supplements and Alendronate on weekend.This will protect her from bone side effects of pulse therapy.
-Also avoid onion and garlic in diet.This can cause aggravation of disease.
-Before pulse therapy in every month blood investigations like CBC, liver and kidney function should be done .
-Pulse therapy should be given under pulse and blood pressure monitoring .
-Drink a lot of water on pulse days. Especially on second day to prevent bladder toxicity.
-Eat good nutritious diet and milk daily.

-Discuss the option of CYCLOSPORINE, AZATHIOPRINE with your doxtor.

Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow if any.