Taking prozac fro long time. Should I increase the dose?

I have been taking prozac since 1991. Started at 10mg. I am now at 80 mg. Some one told me that I may need more than 80 mg because I have been on the drug for so long. (Panic attacks)XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 7 minutes later
Thanks for your query. I understand that your Prozac drug dosage has been slowly escalated over a period of time. Prozac is fluoxetine- an antidepressant and an anxiolytic agent. Generally the recommended maximum dosage is 80 mg though till 120 mg is permissible. I would suggest trying of a different agent belonging to SSRI or TCA group of drugs if fluoxetine 80 mg is insufficient to ameliorate your anxiety symptoms. The other alternative is augmentation with psychotherapy techniques like cognitive behavioural therapy. Kindly discuss the options with your psychiatrist. Do clarify further if required.
Dr Sundar